Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Alive and well

Tonight I came home to find the conversion kit from Bob at the door.  Fifteen minutes later I was playing some sweet Galaga.  If you haven't installed one of these before, it couldn't be easier.  I think a 5th grader could do this one.  Bob includes instructions,  and the AC line is fed from the monitor power lead.  I made the extra effort to install the frame ground from the switcher to one of the legs of the transformer.  After powering up, I checked the voltages, and adjusted to right under +5.2v, but I could already hear the game playing, and could hardly wait to take a look.


This is perhaps the first game I've repaired that has a decent looking monitor.  I doubt it even needs a cap kit, it's clear, bright, and actually centered.
Of course I played a few games, right away.  Galaga is much more difficult than I remember.  Now I've got to get the marquee light working, it's missing completely.


This has been one sweet purchase.  I'll probably strip the parts out of the cab, give it a fresh coat of black paint on the inner painted surfaces, and replace the t-molding and control panel overlay.  After that this game will be in A+ condition.


No comments:

Post a Comment