Monday, March 26, 2012

Asteroids Deluxe vs. Mike Salay

This "project" Asteroids Deluxe came with a totally dead board.  I tried a few things but likely made matters worse.  I know the board had issues with the voltage regulators, and there were a few burned diodes, but after replacing a few components, an electrolytic cap exploded on me while I was just a few inches away from the board.  Wow, I couldn't hear for about 5 minutes!  That's when I decided to seek professional help!

I had heard from a few folks on KLOV that Mike Salay was the Atari Vector Ninja.  Here is a list of things he repaired.:

Diodes/Regulators for the power section
A burned trace on the board
Chips in the ram, clock, and vector circuits
A TL082 and 4016 (to recover graphics)
A bad POKEY and LM324 op-amp (was causing sound issues)
bad LS251 (was causing an auto play issue)

His thoughts were that the board had sustained a major power surge. 
I'm thinking it had something to do with the Mayan end times prophecy.
Mike 1, Asteroids Deluxe 0. 

He even provided these pics.  Rad!




1 comment: