Monday, July 22, 2019

Alien Syndrome Side Art

So fortunately I was able to track down some reproduction artwork.  Through a guy, who knew a guy, I had ordered new side art, a new control panel overlay, and a custom bezel.

The side art went on perfectly and without air bubbles or any other grief.  This can go badly if not done correctly.  I used the "wet" method by soaking the surfaces down with a spray bottle of water with just a tiny bit of mild soap.  This allows for a small amount of adjustment and with a squeegee I was able to work out any air bubbles with ease.  The artwork looks fantastic and you can see the colors really make this cabinet stand out.



After this I made a trip to Lowes, and purchased a new front glass and new 18" fluorescent tubes for the marquee.  

A quick check in the Alien Syndrome manual shows the original glass as 23 9/16" by 23 9/16".  They have thin window glass at the local Lowes, and they will cut it for free, which is a plus.

For the bezel, I didn't want to apply it to the glass.   I opted instead to purchase a 24" wide sheet of picture matting in white.  I then applied the artwork to the matting and using a new blade in an Exacto knife, I managed to cut the center square and sides out ( and my finger), leaving just the artwork, now on a nice card stock.  The bezel, while not original to the dedicated cabinet, really makes the game look sharp.


After this I cleaned up the metal box where the power cable attaches to the cabinet, by sanding it down and cleaning up any rust.  I then painted it with a gold metalic spray paint similar to it's original finish.  I replaced the power cable and rewired the 120V power lines going to the front control panel light, and the dual fluorescent light fixture in the top of the cabinet.  I checked the fuses and found that one was blown and neither matched the recommendations in the service manual.  Looking through my stash of 250v fuses, I found a 4 amp fuse for the lights, and a 5 amp delayed fuse for the main power input.

After replacing the power switch and replacing some of the old power cables, I decided to mount the marquee and test out the lights.


It's going to be a real beauty!




No comments:

Post a Comment