Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Free Play Florida 2019


I hadn't been to an Arcade related event in ages, in fact, I couldn't remember how long it had been.  Seeing mention of FreePlay Florida on the Village and KLOV, I decided it was about time to ride out to Orlando, and see what all the fuss was about.

I don't know how many games were there, but it was well into the hundreds.  Pinball machines a plenty too.  All set to free play and maintained during the event by a crack team of tech savvy experts.  

It works like this: Collectors volunteer to bring in a few of their prized cabinets, and the best are chosen to be displayed here, and enjoyed by all.  Like other conventions, there are artists and programmers from the industry present, to host  panels, give lectures, etc.  Also there are high score tournaments for certain games, officially judged.  It's all pretty damn cool if you're into that sort of thing.

My tendency is to have a quick look around, see what's there, study the most unusual pieces, and leave.  This time I knew I didn't have much going on for the rest of the day, so I made an effort to stay and check things out.

I sat in on an Arcade Raid lecture by Tony Temple, and Jenn May.  An Arcade Raid, or Warehouse Raid is when a collector hunts down a cache of stored games, usually in poor condition, then endeavors to rescue the whole lot.  Normally this takes a crew of collectors to both pool their cash and labor.  Better to just let Tony Temple relay some of the stories, his blog "the arcade blogger" is amazing.

There were a few familiar faces in the crowd, and I ran into an old friend or two.  Was also able to put faces with names from the local forum for once.

Probably the most excitement I get from the event, is seeing some of the fantastic and rare cabinets.  Many of these games have incredible artwork, and are rarely seen or are very rare in general.  A few are the last remaining examples, and are in the hands of only a handful of collectors.  So I took a few pictures of some of the more impressive games, some rare, and others are just personal favorites.















http://wp.freeplayflorida.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment