Wednesday, August 12, 2009

First Night of Repairs

This could not have worked out better. The parts arrived from Bob, on Wednesday, and the best part, Lizzette is out of town for two days. Which basically means, that should I have to pull a late night work session, everything is good.

I didn't waste any time after seeing Kylie off for the night, we usually go out to dinner on Wednesdays. First I pulled the boards out, making sure to take pictures of all of the connectors and where they go.


Removing the old pots and soldering in the two replacements was a snap. Although it is way past time for me to be looking into a real soldering station. I am still using the old 30W POS that I picked up at Radio Shack. Here is a picture of the two bad "nobs" as the guys on the forum like to call them.
After I replaced the boards and fired up the game, everything seemed fine. I sat down and started playing the game and after about 3 minutes, the old scrambled screen issue re-appeared. Great!

So I resigned myself to doing the cap replacement on the monitor and seeing if that resolved the problem. Scott had mentioned that he had done a previous cap replacement on the chassis, but I wanted to be sure. It looked as though the kit I had, replaced a lot more of the caps than he had previously. I saw some on the board that looked to be original and others that were clearly replaced with new. After a full hour and a half of soldering and replacing capacitors, the chassis was ready to go back in the cabinet.

I fired it up and watched for smoke. Everything good, and walked around to the front to check out the display. It was looking good. Now to test if it would stay that way, I sat down for a much deserved gaming session. After about 15 minutes the problem hadn't returned so, Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment