Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sound repairs and oops.

So my second night of work, and I was totally excited to get the sound working. Here is a shot of the little sound amplifier. As you can see it has several capacitors and two transistors, that will be swapped for the ones provided in the kit by the living legend "Bob Roberts".

This little piece had several cables attached, some coming from the monitor chassis and one coming from the main PCB, which I carelessly unplugged.

It took me maybe 3o minutes to desolder and resolder the new parts in place. A quick once over and I plugged it back into the machine for testing. Still no sound. Aughhh!!! What is the problem. After looking around with a flashlite, I discovered that a little brown cable, coming from the amplifier was running up and around the front of the monitor. I reached up and to the front of the machine to feel about for the cable and there it was, not plugged into anything. A quick look at the main board and I locate a plug labeled "TV audio". After plugging that in, you guessed it, sound! Okay, so I now have a perfectly working sound board that I probably didn't need to re-build. Oh well, you live and you learn!

My guess is that Scott (the previous owner) while placing the monitor back into the machine, a job which is a back breaking pain in the you know what, managed to snag the sound cable and shove it ahead of the monitor. I guess he must have thought he had done something wrong on his monitor repair that caused the sound to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment