Sunday, September 18, 2011

Gravitar Coin Door Gets Rebuilt

My least favorite part of this restoration, the coin doors, finally gets tackled.  My problem with these has always been a lack of patience.  That coupled with the blandness of this item makes it a dreadful process.  So I decided to try and change all of that.  This coin door needed to look good.

The plan was to just lavish a great deal of time on these parts and hope for the best.  I started by taking the whole assembly apart.  I also removed the coin box and test switch control panel.  All of the pieces to be painted got slathered in Klean Strip.  This worked incredibly well.  The paint that was so thick and stubborn to remove with sandpaper came off in sheets.  It took several coatings to get every last bit of paint removed, but I took my time with it and let the stripping chemicals do the work.



 Afterwards I cleaned and sanded any remaining rust spots and gave each piece a good cleaning with steel wool. Finally each part got washed with very hot water and left out to dry in the sun.  Rustoleum makes a textured spray paint that a few guys on KLOV have used with great success.  So while this was all drying I made a trip out to Lowe's.

One problem I always seem to have while painting is insects.  So rather than laying out plastic and painting on the ground, I opted to set up a table and just cover the table with plastic.  This worked great, almost nothing flew into the paint, and I stood watch over it for about 10 minutes while it was drying.  I rushed the assembly job a little and have a few nicks and dings from not allowing the paint to cure, but overall it looks quite nice.  The textured paint is a very close match to the original finish.



The marquee wasn't lighting up, so I replaced the starter.  I took maybe an hour and checked all the voltages and continuity on the harness.  The AR board was putting out 5.38V so I turned it down a bit.  I'm not really certain if that was due to not having a load at the time.  Everything looks to be in order, so the board should work when it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment