Thursday, October 6, 2011

First work on Tail Gunner 2


The first of many repairs have been completed!  I was able to source the capacitors and bridge rectifier online, including the two huge 13000MFD 50V caps.  The one case mounted 2N6055 transistor was replaced with a brand new 2N6284.  Previously the +5 voltage and +25 were both dead, now I am happy to report they are all working nicely. The 25 is a little on the high side at 28 something, but the +5 is easily adjusted from the pot at R1.

The 5v circuit board with the new caps.  

The monitor received a serious cleaning.  I finally decided to try the water hose method, as scary as it seems.  The board got a good soaking down with Simple Green, and I scrubbed it with a small toothbrush, to remove any really nasty bits.  After spraying it down with the water hose, it looks nearly spotless.  Of course I let this thing dry for almost a week before attempting to apply power.  While this was down, I replaced the 4 power transistors mounted on the two huge heat sinks to the side.  Bob Roberts supplied the two 2N3792's and two 2N3716's.  On Wednesday I hooked everything back up and gave it another test with the power supply.  I'm happy to say the monitor now has the familiar vector chatter sound, but still no picture.


Lastly, I got busy doing the artwork scans.  It took 9 scans to piece together the whole image.  Microsoft makes a free image stitching program with which I was able to join the 9 images together.  My boss, Mike Gerrish, was kind enough to clean the final image up greatly, by tracing the edges and making all of the white bits perfectly white, and all of the black, black.  It looks really good now, and is very detailed at 500dpi.  I have contacted This Old Game to see about having it printed.

No comments:

Post a Comment