Saturday, February 18, 2012

Asteroids Deluxe Facelift

I'd like this cabinet to look pretty nice when finished.  Unfortunately it doesn't have much going for it.  Ok, the Side Art isn't terrible, but that's about it.  Last time I worked on this, I completely replaced the bottom section.  The front kick panel of this cabinet has numerous chips and nasty swollen water damage.  So I'm going to remove the front half and the coin door, cut a matching piece, laminate it, and put it all back together.


Here is the old front section.  Using a tracing bit, and my router, making a copy was relatively simple.
I already had a nice piece of black laminate and after gluing it down it was a simple matter to once again use the router and trim the edges smooth.

Here's the finished product.  Not bad, seriously it was worth the effort.  I used a few scraps of wood, some wood glue, and my cabinet clamps to get this in place and solid.

The coin door didn't look that bad, so a light coating of satin black and it was ready to go back on the machine.  Here is a shot of the final product, minus the chips and cracks.  It's a much cleaner edge and finish, a look worthy of an excellent classic game.



No comments:

Post a Comment