Monday, February 13, 2012

WWF Superstars

Last Wednesday a friend drops by and asks, do I have any games I'd like to place at his new laundromat.  The short answer, not really.  The first thing that scene brings to mind is, vandalism.  Since I actually enjoy the look of most of my games, I opted out.

Instead, I asked on the local forum, and did a quick look on Craigslist for any potential so-so games that could fill the role.  I found a cheap and clean, well, somewhat clean, WWF Superstars being sold in Largo.

So after talking to the owner, I decided it wasn't that bad of a deal.  The game wasn't working of course, but the sounds were playing and the cabinet looked to be in decent shape.  I decided to fix it up a little, and offer it up to the local laundromat crowd.

The monitor was toast.  A fuse on the deflection board was blown, and after replacing it, and powering up, there was a nasty burning smell and a small amount of smoke.  Wow, nice!  My answer at this time, just pull it out, and set it aside.  I have three working spare monitors, so simply swapping in a good one seemed like the right thing to do.  After this, the game came up and played fine.

It's actually a fun game.  I like that it has the original WWF members, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Andre the Giant, etc.  The game play isn't half bad.  You can play single player vs. the computer or tag team against the computer.  It also offers two player vs. mode, so it has plenty of replay value.

The cabinet looks rather dull, and one of the controllers is pretty much shot.  I placed an order with Twisted Quarter for some new t-molding and a couple of new Happ joysticks.  That should give it some much needed bling.

No comments:

Post a Comment