Thursday, April 21, 2011

Atari Color Vector Added

An operator in St. Pete was selling off a load of games in a warehouse, and from the photos I could see that he had several very old machines.  After talking to him on the phone for a few minutes I figured I'd better get over there and check it out. 

This was my first time visiting a warehouse, and man was this place sweet.  It was the proverbial "honey hole" as they say.  Mind you, all of it was junk, nothing really in working order, but lots of the more rare items to be had. 

After scouting around in the maze of old games I decided on this Atari color vector called Gravitar.  The cabinet is identical to Space Duel and from the looks of it should clean up nicely.  The game was originally white, someone has masked off the artwork and speakers and painted it a sherbet orange color. 

So far I have removed the boardset and tested it in my Space Duel.  The two are compatible as far as power supply and harness so it's an easy swap.  No surprise, the board will need worked on, as it only came up for a brief moment showing the Gravitar logo, then went black.


The artwork is in pretty good condition.  There is one chunk of particle board missing near the control panel on the left side, and the very top corner, near the marquee is broken and will need filled in and replaced.  Other than that, the cabinet should look good after a little bondo, sanding and painting.

It's not often that a color vector comes along, so this is one game I am very happy to have scored.  It's an awesome addition to the collection.