Sunday, April 3, 2011

Some small progress

One thing I need to change about myself is the way I approach these projects. I typically think of the various things that need done in a linear fashion. Naturally I break the project into many small tasks. That's where the problems start. When one task is held up, i let it hold up the entire project, rather than moving on to the things I can do. So for this Zaxxon resto, I'm trying to break out of that mold.

I ordered laminate at Lowes earlier in the week. Well that won't arrive for about ten days. I really wanted to get started on the cabinet, but that's going to be on hold for a bit.

This weekend I started by taking apart the coin mechs, and stripping the paint from the metal parts. Here's a shot of the parts and the flight controller from the control panel. I'd prefer to get these parts powder coated, but haven't yet found a local shop.

The original monitor, as I said in an earlier post, had a busted tube. I wanted to get it working again if possible, so I called up Atari Jim to see if he had any spare tubes. He said he had one that would work, but that it had the usual screen burn. I figured what the hell, a working spare monitor would be cool. I dropped it off at his place and he called me back the next morning. When I got there he had the monitor working great. He replaced the caps, and reflowed the header pins, I believe he replaced one of the deflection boards too. Anyway he wasn't real happy with the results, which I still don't understand because the picture looked pretty good, and I can either use it as a spare, or put it back into the Zaxxon when the time comes. Here's a pic of the now "working" Wells Gardner 19K4675.

No comments:

Post a Comment