Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Cap kit for Donkey Kong audio amp

The parts I ordered for the DK were waiting for me when I got home on Tuesday.  So I wasted no time getting started since I had both the little audio amp board and the Sanyo 20EZ to repair.

The little Nintendo audio amplifier board is mounted beside the monitor chassis.  It's easy enough to rebuild with one of the many kits available, or you could just source the parts yourself.  I ordered my kit from Arcade Shop, just for convenience.  This is such a simple job, I think it should be a first for anyone looking to start doing their own repairs.

Take a photo of the board with the cables connected before removing it from the game.  There are two cable that can be crossed or plugged back in the wrong spot, and a photo should help you from the mix up.

My kit came with a handy diagram, so I would think just about anyone could get this job done in less than an hour.  Line up the components in the same order as the instructions, and check and double check their values. Replace them one at a time making certain the negative line on the capacitor matches with the line on the top side of the board.  On this board, the capacitor numbers are clearly labeled for each.

While replacing the caps on this board, I found three that had one leg entirely corroded away.  Here is a shot of one of the bad capacitors.  This wasn't obvious from looking at the board prior to removing.  So having found those problems, I'm pretty certain it was a good idea to go ahead and re-cap this board.
.  


My kit came with replacements for the two transistors, and they are easy to replace also.  Remove the screw, and un-solder the three legs.  I had some thermal compound handy from another project so I used a little of that between the transistor and the heat sink. 

So here it is, all clean and ready to go.  I'm already looking forward to hearing that iconic Donkey Kong intro music.  I wonder if it would be too much to add a subwoofer to the cabinet?



No comments:

Post a Comment