Saturday, April 25, 2015

Donkey Kong Project

Our DJ at work offered to sell me a Donkey Kong over a year ago.  I really didn't have any use for yet another game in my garage, so I decided to let it go.  For whatever reason, this week I decided to give him a call to see if he still had it available.  A few hours later he texts me the address and it was only a few minutes down the road from the resort.  I drive over there and it appears the game had been setting in a storage shed for decades.  So here it sits.  I'm actually somewhat excited about working on a new project.


As Donkey Kong cabinets go around here, this is a pretty nice one.  The back door is still there, the edges of the cabinet are in reasonably good shape, and almost all of the artwork is intact.  Sadly the front panel was replaced with a thin sheet of plywood and the coin door is missing.  The orange jump button is missing and was replaced with a standard, and too large red button.  The t-molding is gone, and the joystick is seized up in a strange way.  When I attempted to power on the game, it played the jump sound and the monitor buzzed and displayed garbage.  How nice.

Here are a few shots of the game as it sits now.  I took a little time today to vacuum out the insides of the cabinet.  I ordered a cap kit for the audio board and monitor from www.arcadeshop.com on Friday before I left work and it should be here sometime soon.

Anyway, I got a good deal on the game, and I'm actually jones'n to get started.




No comments:

Post a Comment